3D Prototyping and 3D Printing
Rockland Community College’s (RCC) SMARTT Lab aims to inspire interest and creativity in 3D printing and to help the community bring their ideas to life. Through collaboration between the RCC community and creative entrepreneurs, inventors, and businesses, the lab provides expert advice for 3D printing, the AutoCAD process, its materials, and designing services for additive manufacturing.
Our vision is to harness the power of 3D virtualization to enhance learning, student and faculty research, and community engagement at RCC.
Who we Serve
- RCC students taking courses towards earning their certificates or degrees.
- Students and Faculties seeking to learn more about 3D Designing/Printing and manufacturing procedures.
- An entity with a demonstrable idea and the ability to commercialize new products.
- Industrial and manufacturing firms with limited technical resources.
- Entrepreneurs, inventors, and small business owners who need 3D product design aids.
Our 3D Print Center is located at Rockland Community College’s Haverstraw, NY Campus.
Rockland Community Colleges 3D Print Center
Process and Policies
This center offers prototyping and 3D printing. To manage the flow of design work and to optimize 3D printing, the Center has instituted specific policies as follows (in part):
1. Design Creation:
– Any 3D drafting software may be used to create a design as long as the file can be saved in .stl, .step and .obj, file formats. The SMARTT LAB offers four (4) computers with software that may be used to create a design.
– The client is responsible for all errors that occur during printing involving the stereolithographic (.STL) .STEP and .OBJ files and design of the model. If the object does not print correctly due to design errors, it is the responsibility of the client to pay for the object.
– It is recommended that before submitting an STL file for printing, clients utilize software that checks for errors and helps repair them.
– Clients who do not have 3D files, and would like to consult with a designer on-site to build 3-D files, please make note of that in our reservation form. Additional fees may apply.
2. Submitting a design for printing:
– Clients may bring their file in (.stl .step and .obj, file format) (no larger than 50 MB) to the 3D Print Lab during normal business hours (Monday through Friday, 9am-4pm), or elect to share the files via Google Drive or DropBox. A T-SEC representative will work with you and the 3D Lab prototyper.
– The files will be prepared for printing and viewed in Grabcad prior to printing. Clients with special instructions must disclose them in writing when requesting their project.
– It is strongly suggested that clients obtain a copy of Grabcad Print from Stratasys and use this to check the files prior to submitting to the 3D Lab.
– Clients who are printing more than one object must submit a file for each object.
– Lab staff will do their best to estimate an approximate time period that a job will take to build.
– Lab staff will supply an estimated time of completion. Schedules may change and updates will be provided. Clients with time-sensitive print deadlines should allow adequate time. Most prints may be completed in a few days, but there may be times that equipment malfunctions, is being serviced, is experiencing heavy use, or is being used for a training event or course.
– Printing is available on a first-come-first-served basis taking into account the queue is prioritized based on factors such as academic priority, class due dates, reprints, and other issues as they arise. RCC reserves the right to alter queue order based on these factors. Notification that a 3D printing job has been completed will be made to the email address provided on the 3D Print Request Form.
Stratasys printers tend to be very accurate, but there may be some instances where objects do not fit precisely together.
Periodically material prices and procedures may change. Clients should work closely with the T-SEC and the Lab Technician to request and secure current pricing prior to each separate printing.
For now, please refer to this document for further information as well as pricing and material cost:
RCC SMARTT LAB Onboarding Manual 5-14-2020